7.08.2006

Making Friends at the Launderette

 The launderette, a poet once remarked that it is 'a beautiful place where clothes go to heaven for the day'. I can't remember where I read that, but for sure I read it just now.

I was at my local coin operated self service laundry today, catching up with a few weeks of dirty bed linen and cum stained underwear. It's such a great place to meet characters, it's cheaper than going to a night club, and everyone has something in common; they're wearing their shittiest clothes.

So I thought to myself, mmm, what would I do if I won the lottery... The answer is obvious, I would exchange all that money for quarters, so I could spend all my time hanging out at the launderette making friends. Honestly, it's the place to be because I like people who wear clean clothes; they're people that you can take home to meet your mother.

I believe that if you've ever considered becoming a serious writer; don't do your washing at home, go to the local coin operated and meet strange new character ideas. I don't understand why writers want to meet other writers for inspiration; the inspiration is in your neighbourhood on the streets, and in their shittiest clothes.

No comments: