7.18.2006

Computers: They Don't Bedazzle Smart People

I've come to the conclusion that smart people do not use computers: smart people use people who use computers...

The smart man/woman strives away from relying solely on the computer to procure their income; they know that the computer will eventually fritter away more of their time than is worth while.

Not to say that people who are technologically savvy are stupid; far be it, no doubt that they have the intelligence, but they lack the common sense to know how to improve their life.

The smart man knows about computers, he knows that they can be a lucrative source of income. He realizes that the computer is a tool that can enable an efficient workflow and thus increase profit; at the same time, he knows that to invest time to learn them can mean sacrificing opportunities to make money and improve his lifestyle.

Any job involving computers, requires the operator to constantly update their knowledge in order to remain employed and stay ahead of the competition. Therefore by relying on computers to make a living, you are tied to a course of self improvement that will have no positive influence on your income.

An example is the guy who designs websites, creates 3D animations and illustrations (ie. Me). The more I know, the better chance of getting work that I have. I can read books, and learn alot about the software that I'm using ad infinitum. Meanwhile, as I'm studying these books on computer applications, there is perhaps another guy who is reading books about finance, trading and property management. The other guy will be making more money than me while I will be constantly struggling to remain ahead of my computer co-workers.

He'll have the extra income to enable him the freedom to do whatever he so chooses, and his hobbies might include computers too! So the point that I'm basically trying to make, is that if you want to make it rich, don't expect to do it without knowledge of finance and economics.

3 comments:

Irlandais said...

Who are these people Finance and Economics, and where can I find their email addresses?

Jenspresso said...

I loved the intro to this post!

This is actually how I started the dotcom I ran from 1998-2003. In college, I learned HTML, and due to my ability to wow people in job interviews, I soon became the web designer of choice for all the college departments, and then I got a few local businesses as clients.

But one day I found myself sitting in a computer lab with a book on how to program in Perl (the thing to do in 1998). It was hard. I am not a computer programmer.

I looked at the next computer over, and the next.... All full of guys who could program in Perl effortlessly, and who probably did not wow people in interviews, and who, I suspected, would be delighted to have me pay them to program Perl in their dorm rooms so they didn't have to get some crappy dining-hall job or something. I was right.

The company eventually failed many years later, when I was states away from my supply of college-boy programmers. But it was a great insight, for its moment (and for a nineteen year old girl).

Jen

Zombiehellmonkey said...

Wow! Jen Dziura posted in my blog! I think I will treasure the moment.

Today, I was feeding the squirrels in the garden with peanuts that had gone slightly off; it occurred to me that squirrels are the finance wizards of the animal kingdom: they know that life isn't about sitting infront of a computer and learning software but actually going out there and investing in nuts. We should all invest in nuts...