8.20.2006

Travelling Across Water

I had a great day on Toronto's Centre Island today having a picnic with a group of fellow writers...

I found the ferry ride across the lake a very soothing and calming experience. Travelling over water reminded me of the Truman Show.

Truman Burbank, the protagonist of the Truman Show, is a character that each one of us might relate to. In a world which increasingly resembles the one in the movie, we have to ask ourselves how much of our own realities are being artificially fabricated around us.

It was certainly nice to get away from the city, but the island itself was not devoid of commercial opportunities. It's not a day trip away from the city, but an alternative consumer experience. It seems wherever you go, you can't escape brand name exposure. As soon as we got of the boat, what do we see? A Pizza Pizza Store. There also happened to be a promotion, where they were handing out Pam canola oil spray and Egg Beaters samples.

Apparently, the brands are now invading my own blog.

Truman lives in a world where nothing is real. His friends are not really his friends, his wife is not really his wife, his neighbours are not really his neighbours... etc. But, in the illusion, he finds something that is real to him, the girl he meets at university. She is the truth, a small fragment of what is honest and pure; untainted by lies.

I wonder if as individuals, we are all searching for that beacon of hope, a candle's flame to help us find our way. Would we recognize it if we saw it? I cannot answer that. I'm a lost sheep and I don't want to join the herd; since the herd is also my wolf.

No comments: