12.16.2009

Causing a Stink - When Body Odour Takes Over Your Life


"Sometimes the urge is just too great," says self-professed armpit sniffer, Daniel Smithers, on his addiction to sniffing the sweat from his underarms. This well-dressed 27 year old banker harbours a very dark secret that not even his colleagues are aware of. In his own words, "It all started out as a bit of innocent fun, three years ago, at a friend's birthday party. We had a few drinks, and one thing led to another, and before we knew it there was a small group of us in the bathroom scratching our heads until our fingers were greasy, then we sniffed our fingers. The rush was incredible..." Not long afterwards, Daniel was scratching and sniffing his head more frequently, sometimes he would "sneak away from the office desk to get a quick 'whiff' in the men's room"; he had developed a dependency to his own body odour.

Soon Daniel found himself longing for something stronger. A friend introduced him to a homeless guy, Dave, who allowed Daniel to sniff his armpits. Daniel recalls, "The smell was so intense and intoxicating. It was a heady rush and it blew my brains. I could feel my eyeballs popping out." Dave taught Daniel how to cultivate his own armpit smell for a small sum of money. Daniel stopped taking showers and began to wear very thick clothing even though it was the middle of summer. Fellow office workers noticed his aberrant behaviour, but they never suspected anything, they just assumed that he was a bit "eccentric".

Last summer, Daniel was arrested for armpit sniffing in a restaurant, "I knew my life was spiraling out of control, but at that point I could do nothing about it." Daniel's addiction had taken him to the pinnacle of self-destruction, he was so addicted that he was doing it in public, "I just didn't care anymore, when I needed a hit, I just tore off my clothes and inhaled my armpit odour." I asked him if he would ever consider quitting the habit, he didn't respond, he just looked at me, then removed his shirt and sniffed his armpit.

No comments: